Get more shares without annoying your readers. Add social media sharing buttons to each of your WordPress posts and make it easy for your blog visitors to share your great content on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and more without leaving your blog.
Simply use a WordPress plugin ShareThis to have social media buttons automatically appear on all your blog posts or pages. There are several plugins that allow you to add social media sharing buttons to your WordPress blog. However, I found that the ShareThis plugin is very easy-to-use. It also allows some additional customization to meet most blogger’s needs.
Install The ShareThis Plugin
- In Your WordPress Admin Area, select Plugins – Add New
- Search for “ShareThis”
- Install the “ShareThis: Share Buttons and Sharing Analytics” plugin.
- Activate the Plugin.
Set Up ShareThis Plugin
- Select Settings > ShareThis from the WordPress admin menu.
- Select your settings from the available options on that page. Some examples:
To change the appearance of the buttons: Click the blue arrows at the top of the page to select the style of the buttons you want to use.
- To add a Pinterest button: Click the “Add Pinterest” checkbox.
- To change the order that the buttons appear in: Click the “+” next to “Click to change order of social buttons or modify list of buttons.” Then change the text in the textbox by listing the items in the order you want them to appear in.
- To remove the ShareThis icon: Click the “+” next to “Click to change order of social buttons or modify list of buttons.” Then remove “sharethis” from the list of items in the textbox.
- To add additional social media icons: Click the “+” next to “Click to change order of social buttons or modify list of buttons.” Then add additional items to the list. (Items should be separated by a comma.)
- If you want to promote your Twitter account through the Twitter shares from your blog, you can automatically append “via @yourTwitterAccount” at the end of the Twitter shares from your blog. To do this, click on the “+” next to “Click to add extra Twitter options.” Then type in your Twitter account name in the textbox.
- Select “Yes” or “No” to automatically add the social media icons to the bottom of your posts and/or pages. (*Instructions for moving the icons to the top of your posts are included below.)
- Click the “Update ShareThis Options” button at the bottom of the page to save your settings.
Move The Social Media Sharing Buttons To The Top of Your WordPress Posts
The social media sharing buttons are located at the bottom of your posts by default. If you want to move them to the top of your posts:
- Go to the ShareThis Settings page (WordPress Dashboard: Settings > ShareThis)
- Select “No” for “Automatically add ShareThis to your posts?”
- Click the “+” next to “Click to view/modify the HTML tags.”
Copy the code in the text box that appears. (Make sure you scroll down in the text box to select all the code.)
- Click the “Update ShareThis Options” button at the bottom of the page.
- Click Appearance > Editor in your WordPress admin area.
- In the “Templates” section on the right side of the page, click the post template: “single.php”. (If you want to add them to the top of a page instead of a post, you would edit the “page.php” file.)
- Paste your code in the spot of the post (or page) that you want the buttons to appear.
- Click the “Update File” button.
Author & Content Marketing Strategist
Passionate about Writing, Delicious bites, Yoga and Biking.
Already Credited with +100 Published Articles.